Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day 2: Facebook, please hold...

That's about how I feel sometimes...

Facebook, conqueror of many minds, dominator of not so free time, social juggernaut for good or ill, ever present mini billboard in coffee shops around the nation! But, I only mention it because it was necessary to close it completely out of my browser to bring you this moment, this story, this fictitious event that I haven't come up with yet. What will it be?! Well, I'm asking the same question, so please be patient.

Envision, if you will, a hot cup of soul. Steaming. Ethereal. Unseen depths hidden beneath the ether. A long pale nose descends to appraise its quality, letting the drifting haze carry the aroma upward. A couple delicate sniffs, then one long draw followed by a blissful sigh.
"My, my, how delightful!"
The pale personage turns his face towards the purveyor of such a delicacy. A dazzling woman leans lazily upon the counter, her smile suggestive. A hint that never reaches her eyes.
Blissfully preoccupied he breathes deeply again.
"What character!" he exclaims. "My, my, you do spoil me."
"So it seems." Her voice is like honeyed ice. "Shall we discuss a price?"
"A price..." he chuckles, "you'll bleed me dry! But," he says waving his hand dismissively in her direction, "for this? Break me and I could care less. Name your price woman... name it."
"Done."
"Done? What do you mean done?"
"The price." He hears it, feigned innocence, but he pays it no heed.
"Fine, fine... you can tell me after."
Slowly, deliberately he raises the cup to his lips.
Her hand slides gently to his shoulder.
"Share it with me." she pleads, "let me see it in your eyes."
Such a small thing to ask, and he's growing impatient for the cup in his hands, he concedes and begins to sip, to drink more deeply and to savor as she watches. Sharing eye to eye as moment by moment, the light of his eyes dims. Only she fills his sight, until light becomes dark, and as the cup clatters to the ground, her tongue traces across her lips, enjoying the lingering flavor. Savoring it. The memory of drinking deeply. The memory of a hot cup of soul.

This little moment brought to you by the ad for a performance at Republic Coffee by Soulsville Charter School for Kids, a show, now past, called 'Hot Cup of Soul'. Inspiration can come in the strangest of places.

1 comment: