Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 10: Posted today, written yesterday...

Ho there young fella. Mind buyin an old man a drink?

What a day! I say, I'm rather exhausted. A shame. Boredom will do that to you, you know? Ahh, of course you do. How could you live in this day and age and not see it?

Oh how I miss the old days. Can't even remember the last time I broke a sweat, a real, good sweat. Work sure has changed.

Oh, oh.. I'm so sorry. You looked quite familiar. Thought you knew me. I am a Threshold Guardian by profession. I test the mettle of would be heroes. This world's come to a sad state... sad. No strength anymore. Not of arms, or of character for that matter. Now don't get me wrong, there are some good people out there, just not good enough. Can you believe I've failed over 5o applicants already this week? And it's only Tuesday! Pathetic lot... even with all the new regulations and the lowered standards that pass for tests.

You know there were times in the past that a single applicant would keep me occupied for weeks on some martial campaign. At least a day in single combat. At least! Hmmmph... now it's scantrons and pencils instead of shields, armies and swords. We've succumbed to a bloody written test. They can't even pass that!

Forgive me for being old fashioned, but I'd be happier to test the mettle of some strapping dolt with a broadsword than these Poindexters. It is a slow, slow death, and that's saying something coming from an immortal. Anyway, enough of that. You know, you're a nice chap to sit and listen to me prattle on. What can I say, it's been a long century with a highlight reel that ended about sixty years ago.

Oh, by the way, here's my card. If you happen to see anyone around here with some potential, send 'em my way. Plenty of work to be done and not near enough heroes. What about you? Hah! No, I suppose not.

Bartender, another pint...

and one for my friend here.

No comments:

Post a Comment